Thursday, October 7, 2010

Diapers of Cloth.


"They're better for your baby's bum."
"They stink up your house"
"They still cost the same anyways, because it's extra laundry"
"They save you money and are better for the environment"
"What a hassle! So much extra work!"
"SOOO awesome! Just find your groove, your routine, and you'll be fine!"
And.
So.
On.

I can't even count the varied opinions I've heard on the topic over the past couple months...as I've researched making the plunge into the cloth diapering world.
Actually, for the most part, it seems that people think well of cloth diapering...just steer clear of it for some reason or another... reasons usually delivered either self-righteously, like they were trying to win a war..("yeah, they're great and all, but it's not like it's worth the hassle. It's not worth the hassle, ya hear!?"). or with darting eyes, like they were trying to rationalize stealing a chocolate bar from the gas station.

Kind of strange.

My look into it hasn't been all that objective, in all honesty: I reeeeally wanted to try it, and had pretty much decided that I was going to do it...I just needed the final convincing nudge and the know-how to go ahead with it. I wanted...and still want...to blame my inner flower-child for the drive towards a practice that promotes a cleaner earth. I grew up in the Land of Tree-Huggers and have a wide, green streak in me...
...BUT...
I couldn't even tout that as my main reason for wanting cloth diapering to work for me. There's another little bum entering my world soon...and two kids in diapers is an extra 100ish dollars a month, an amount that could be hacked to a quarter of that, at least!....if I used cloth.

So my big reason is not as noble as I wish it were.
(sigh.)
Tree-huggers everywhere are disappointed in me, I know.

And although the greeeen thing does make me feel good about doing it, I am pretty sure that it would not have been enough to keep me sticking with it through my first few weeks of trying it out. My determination to save the money, however....
As per my frugal reasoning, I went with the cheapest option...the flat, prefold diapers. I got a stellar deal on them and some covers that had never been used, and I figured that I'd start with the nitty gritty basics of all cloth diapers.

At the beginning, diaper changes took way too long for mine or Baby-Rae's liking...and I could never get the diapers completely dry in in dryer or hang-drying them inside...and it did kind of smell sometimes...and I had to change her more often than with disposables....and Baby-Rae wasn't sure how she felt about all this bulk all-of-the-sudden that she was lugging around on her bum and between her legs, and not being able to move quite the same as before....and D-Hubby was still mighty skeptical, so I was flying solo on this experiment.

All a little challenging.

But I was bound and determined to give it my all. Luckily, I survived.
I've since gotten much faster at changing, thanks to practice...we've had some awesome weather lately...weather that lets me dry diapers on the clothesline in our backyard, in the sunshine and breeze that gets them awesomely dry...and I've figured out how long diapers need to actually get dry if they're in the dryer....and I've figured out the smell situation...and I've gotten used to changing her more often...and learned different folds that aren't so bulky that she moves around in just as freely as a trim little disposable...and D-Hubby may not be comfortable changing those cloth diapers on his own, but he's more supportive of my efforts....and I've hit my stride with my laundry routine for keeping them washed and ready to go. And I'm feeling good about it all. Good, good, good.

We got off to a bumpy start, those cloth diapers and I. But now, I think we're finally friends. If anyone asked, I would tell them that...hands down...disposables are just easier. But if you're looking for a little challenge, and to save lots of dollars, and to appease your inner tree-hugger that just looooves some good green action...then go for it, with all you've got.
Now, it's plain ol' fun. I've acquired a new skill and I'm saving my family money. I'm doing good by the earth, and by my babies' bums. And who's excited for the added bonus of babies likely potty training earlier? I am!
I haven't sworn off disposables 100% yet, I'm not that brave. Vacations and lengthy outings are disposables' territory. Maybe someday. But until then, I'll enjoy my new-found groove of cloth diapering 90% of the time.

...And did I mention that Baby-Rae might potty train sooner as a result?

P.S. A while back I found this website that advertised patterns for making your own pads...like feminine pads...that you could wash and re-use time and again.
I think I'll be drawing the line at those, thank you.
But that's just me. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO!!! yike a rumbas, your amazing. i wanted to do cloth so bad but i couldn't convince the hubby as well, and im not changing the diapers by myself all the time. as for the pads... bah! you got to be a real tree hugging woman, living in the woods vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was nysh. to lazy to sign dave out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. go laura! i love cloth ... but you already know that.

    and i miss you. i miss everyone but my kids;) lunch date this week?

    ...i'll call you!

    ReplyDelete