Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Moment in Time.

I'm laying here listening to the rain fall outside and feeling sorry for myself, a little.

I'm scrolling through my Instagram feed that was just recently flooded with photos from two friends that attended the same, awesome outdoor music festival this last weekend. They attended with their awesome husbands and listened to awesome bands and performers and only had to rush home, all partied out and thrilled, to get back to work and school and their beds to catch up on lost sleep.
Not kids.

And you know, it's not very often that I feel this way...a little whiny for a taste of kidless freedom...but occasionally, very occasionally, I'll get this zing of jealousy for those whole have the time to do their hair and their makeup every morning. Who have the freedom to go to the store by themselves whenever they want, and hunt down the cutest vintage dresses and furniture. Who have the uninterrupted moments of careful attention to studying style and design, to planning outfits and hairstyles....who have the energy to care about it all the time. I'll envy those who have the quiet and the minutes to discover new songwriters and really listen to the songs, enjoy them without feeling they are adding to the never-ending noise. Who have the flexibility and the disposable income to travel, to quit their day jobs and write blogs, run cute businesses from home, discover new secret restaurants, and photograph people whenever they are asked and whenever they want. Who can pour themselves into hobbies and interests wholeheartedly and with their full attention.

But don't worry...before you feel sorry for me, or want to scold me, I promise you that I know I've got a world of better things going on. One of the hardest things about being a mom is learning how to focus your time, attention, and energy...and your heart...on the things that are the most important at the time. Sometimes the best thing you can be doing IS taking time for yourself...but usually, it's not. And sometimes it does look like a little taste of the fun, carefree things that you get to do more of when you don't have little people tugging at your shirt...or at very least, tugging at the back of your mind. but usually the important things are just things like stepping away from the screen, or fixing a hurt with a kiss, or leaving the house with your hair very un-cute because you made breakfast for your family instead.
And I know in these moments of envy that I'm glamorizing a life without littles, really I do; but that's not the point of my whining this evening, sorry, folks. Tomorrow, or maybe even in 30 seconds...I'll be remembering why being a mom is so profoundly awesome, and the jealousy will fall away.

But sometimes, you just want to be at the concerts. Because sometimes being a mom is just hard.
That is all. The end.


2 comments:

  1. The Hubs and I talk about this ALL the time... He tells me to get a hobby and go back to school and do what I'm really passionate about... and although he is supportive... and I know I'd love every second...I think I'd be more heartbroken in the future to think I missed out on anything in Claire's life! They're little for such a short period of time...I think these sacrifices are worth it in the long run...So that when she's older... I can tell her the funny habits and quirks she has as a toddler! :) Those are the moments I cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its kind of freeing knowing others think like this. This is the first year since we've been married that we didn't go away for our anniversary, granted I was in hospital this year just having had Will. But it seems every other day I think of this, and just want a weekend getaway.. just me and the hubs, like the old days of just being so carefree and taking off.
    When were living up there we will have to rotate weekend shifts with the kiddos and get that little time away!

    ReplyDelete