Thursday, May 6, 2010

Music Days--Verse Four

(Read Verse One, Verse Two, and Verse Three first. It's a series-type-post. It'll just make more sense.)


The Songs That Go Along with a Taste of Freedom.

At age sixteen I was finally...finally....able to drive. I spent months before and after my sixteenth birthday perusing car magazines so I wasn't car-stupid. I was proud that I could spot any car on the road and most likely tell you the make and model. I made myself learn the difference between a four cylinder, V6 and V8 engine. And I used any excuse I could to drive my Dad's car....a brand new Honda Civic. Errands to be done? Drive who to piano lessons? Even the family full-sized van wasn't that bad (and it was a BEAST). At least I could drive. It was my first taste of adult-like freedom and it was delicious to my sixteen-year-old self.

I have distinct driving memories with these songs. I can't really remember whether I was alone or with friends, but I am singing loud and loud along with these tunes while coasting down roads I can still remember the names to. The windows were down, the radio was blasting, and it was heaven.





(Sorry, couldn't embed the real video. It's here if you want to see it. PS...I had no idea these two were twins until just now! ha!)


And this next one is for late-night alone driving.
Again, I found any excuse to drive, including volunteering myself to drive friends home to their far-away homes at midnight, after a long night of playing. Drove my mom crazy :) (Love you, Mom.) And my favourite song to listen to while it was dark and I was just alone with my thoughts was this one. My thoughts turned to that guy quite often when I didn't have anything else to distract me, trying to sort out what had gone right and what had gone wrong. So this was the soundtrack for my night-drives. And night-thoughts.



So here's to those first few years of driving (before it got old, haha): that little taste of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment