Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Music Days--Verse One.

So I was listening to some online radio yesterday, and on came a song I loved back in my teenage yesteryears. It got me thinking how much I love music. But then again, I don't know very many people who don't...in fact, I know no one who has ever said to me "music? meh. I could take it or leave it." Everyone has their songs, their tunes, their melodies that are important to them. All so different. Yet, so...good.

Anyways, I was thinking about being a teenager, especially. Doesn't everyone have those few songs that will inevitably end up on the soundtrack of the movie we'll watch someday of our own adolescent experiences? Seriously! I can think of a handful, off the top of my head, that are inextricably linked to my memories of what it was like being a teenager. Some songs are embarrassingly and gloriously cheesey. Some are tender and deep. Some are sad and complex.

Over the next few days, I'm taking a stroll down memory lane...maybe more for my benefit than anything, an archive of sorts. But then again, the only people that read this blog--who know who I am--might get a kick out of the memories...because you, my friends, were probably right there with me.
And for real, if you are able to comment, just this time, and leave a couple of your teenage-faves, too, I would love it. And I will not judge. Because really, after some of the ones I'm about to tell you about, you will feel no shame in comparison. HA.

First up?



Oh, Backstreet Boys. You began my adolescence.
At the tender age of 12-13, they were my first real foray into the world of obsessive teenage-girl-hood. My best bud and I were among the first to fall in love with this boy band of all boy bands. She even recorded her tape (that's right....tape) of their first album of them for me, so I could listen to them non-stop, too. Which I did. Really. I adored Nick with his beautiful blonde bowl-cut, although Brian was a close second. We would daydream about meeting them. AND now that boys, in general, were making their way onto the radar, every single crush we had was epitomized by at least one of their A-MAzing songs. This song in particular holds a special place...because it's also one of the first music videos I had ever seen. I was mesmerized.
And then...they got popular, we got too-cool. And the publicly proclaimed love was over. But secretly, they always held a place in my little heart, a love not admitted from then on...until I went to a concert as a favour to a friend (nothing more!) in grade 11-ish...and ended up screaming just as loud as every single other girl in that arena.

Oh, Backstreet Boys. How I love thee, if only for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment