Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Music Days--Verse Two.

(Explanation for the weird music videos here: Music Days--Verse One.)


The Moffatts.

That's right. A MOFFATTS song is making it onto the list. I'm holdin' nothin' back!
So this song is because I love their hair. HA! Just kidding. It's actually because I have a memory of going to a dance in The Land of My Extended Family with my cousins one summer. There was this cute boy who asked me to dance and flirted. up. a. storm. I loved every second. Then he found out I wasn't from around there, and would be leaving the next day. He acted devastated, and then began to sing the lyrics of the song we were dancing to. Which happened to be this one. My 14-yr-old self was slightly embarrassed, but right charmed, too. So this one's for boys who I met at dances and fell in love with in one song.


N'Sync. Because boy-bands were just the best back then.

I did kind of like boy bands in general in those early teenage years. Maybe it was my age. Maybe it was because there was a plethora of them to love. And maybe because cute boys singing about heartbreak and unrequited love was just irresistable. How could a she-teen not relate to that! So this one was one of my favourites to fall asleep to...and dream about that boy that just drove me crazy. Ha. 
P.S. I had not seen this music video until just now. Gotta miss (?) that bleached-blonde look, Justin.

Ummm...All Saints? Whatever-the-heck happened to them?

This one actually ALSO goes out to boys you fall in love with in one song. Or one dance. And then fall out of love with them again.
When 15, my best bud and I ran away to visit my cousin for several days after Christmas. Our timing had a purpose: one of the biggest high-school boys basketball tournaments was happening in her town that week. I had just broken up with an on-and-off boyfriend for the second? third? time...we both needed a break from our hometown boys. We had to meet some fresh new ones. We just had to be THERE. 
It was great. And there were three dances to attend during the time we were there. At one, I saw the cutest boy I had ever laid eyes on. He was a blondie in a puffy vest. It was the last song of the night, and I got this unusual surge of courage. He wasn't dancing with anyone...so I gritted my teeth and marched myself right up to him and asked him to dance. We danced. I felt kind of silly for being so forward, but it paid off....as he left the dance, he made a point of calling out a good-bye to me...complete with cute little nickname for me, based off where I was from. I could. have. died.
There was another dance the next night in another town close by. AND HE WAS THERE. When deciding on a song for this experience, it was a toss up between the Grease Mega-mix, and this All-Saints random. He made it clear that he was interested by coming over and dancing with my friends and I during the Grease Mash-up and sang all the "Danny" parts right to me. (Le SIGH.) I was in shock. He was SOOoo cute. And he was paying attention to me
Which leads me to this All-Saints song. We slow danced a couple songs in a row, right at the end of the dance, this one being the second. I don't know if it was just the atmosphere, or his intoxicating cologne, or just wanting to forget what's-his-name back home, or what....but by the time we were dancing to this song, (STOP READING, MOM!) we were dancing WAAaay too close. I was feeling increasingly uncomfortable. And I was feeling reeeeeallly guilty. But I stayed where I was, unfortunately. I think he even tried to kiss me. But I was feeling awful about where I was letting this go, and how I really did miss that boy back home and was here dancing with some guy I barely knew like this and...and was lost in thinking about it, and totally aloof. The song lyrics about feeling 'so bad' (different context, I know, but still...) weren't helping either. By the end of the dance it was all I could do to not run from him and that dance floor. Poor guy. He was so confused. One second I'm flirting like crazy and dancing much too close and the next? Poof. I'm gone. 
So this song reminds me of an important adolescent lesson learned. I can't even recall that situation without feeling the "that was so dumb" guilt ache. Oh yuck. But dang. I learned. And I learned it good.


Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I can't stop laughing at this post!!! I am LOVING the walk down memory lane with these classic songs...and by classics... I mean one hit wonders!! ;)
    P.S- this isn't john.... it's his computer stupid wife who doesn't know how to make an account so I can comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol whatever works!
    and someday, i HAVE TO hear your list, lady! i bet it would bring back so many funny memories!

    ReplyDelete